If you paid a fee to the Employment Tribunal in respect of a claim or appeal after July 2013, you can now apply for a refund.  There are likely to be three scenarios in which a refund is payable: –


  1. if you made the claim on your own and paid the fees
  2. if you paid the fees for someone else to make the claim or you were the ‘lead claimant’ in a joint (‘multiple’) claim
  3. if a claim was brought against you and you were ordered to pay someone’s fees, or if you paid any other fees to the tribunal – for example you are or were an employer


You will be entitled to claim back all the fees you paid, plus 0.5% interest for each year that has passed since you paid.


You will not be able to claim back fees if your employer has already paid them to you – for example, if you won your case and the tribunal ordered your employer to pay your fees.


It is usually easiest to apply for a refund using the online form on GOV.UK, but you can also apply by post or by email.


If you would like any assistance with recovering tribunal fees, please contact Lee Middleton.

Truro | Farley House

Tel: 01872 241414, Fax: (01872) 242424

St Austell

Tel: 01726 879333, Fax: (01726) 67401
Tel: 01326 313441, Fax: (01326) 315971
Tel: 01637 871414, Fax: (01637) 879414

Truro | Lemon Street

Tel: 01872 241414, Fax: (01872) 271019
Tel: 01209 714278, Fax: (01209) 710437
Tel: 01326 574001, Fax: (01326) 564547
Tel: 01736 364014, Fax: (01736) 364054

Nalders Solicitors is a trading name of Nalders LLP and is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England and Wales (LLP No. OC354499). We use the term partner to refer to a member of Nalders LLP. A list of the members may be inspected at our registered office: Farley House, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. TR1 2HX. Nalders LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 538003. Resolution Accredited Specialist. We will not accept service by electronic mail. VAT Registration No. 131 8555 74