Moving In Together

Moving In Together

Choosing to move in together is an exciting step for any couple.  Many people are unaware however, how little the English legal system protects unmarried couples, even if they have been living together for decades.


At Nalders Solicitors, we have been helping cohabitees work through the legal matters which affect them for many years – whether this is before they take the plunge and move in together or further down the road if things have not worked out between them.  With this experience, allied to our knowledge of the local region and our compassionate approach, by instructing our firm you can be confident of finding lawyers you can trust and depend upon.


How we can help

No matter what legal advice you need when moving in together or when splitting up after a period of cohabitation, our solicitors can help.  Let us guide you through matters such as:



We operate fixed fee schemes in many areas of relationship management and breakdown which gives you absolute certainty of the costs involved from the moment you appoint us.


To find out more about how we can advise on moving in together, please fill in our contact form or phone 01872 241414 to be directed to your closest Nalders office.

Cohabitation Agreements

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing in English law as a ‘common law husband or wife.’  No matter how long a couple have been living together, if they are not married or in a civil partnership, the law offers very little protection.


For example, if you and your partner purchased a house together, and your partner is registered as the sole owner on the title, he or she can demand that you vacate the premises if you break up.  This is regardless of how much money you paid towards the mortgage and any renovations.  The only way you can claim any right to the property is to go to court and argue that you have a ‘beneficial interest’ in it.  This can be an expensive and stressful procedure.


Cohabitation agreements

One way to avoid becoming an unwitting victim of the above scenario is to have a cohabitation agreement drafted before or shortly after you move in with your partner, stating how the assets and debts you each had before you got together and those you may acquire collectively, will be divided.  A cohabitation agreement can also set out the responsibilities of each partner regarding the payment of rent and other bills while you are living together.

At Nalders Solicitors, we have years of experience in drafting and advising on cohabitation agreements and can draft a comprehensive document to protect your individual financial and personal interests. Our family law solicitors also advise those who have been asked to sign a cohabitation agreement.

Our team will consider not just your immediate situation but will encourage you to make decisions based on where you and your partner may be in two to five years’ time.  We will also update your agreement as your circumstances change over time.

Property Disputes


Latest News

Divorce: The Blame Game

The Supreme Court judgment in Owens and Owens handed down on 25 July 2018 is a reminder that whilst the average marriage may be becoming shorter, the law governing marriage is not so quick to end a marriage where there is no blame.   Mrs Owens sought to divorce...

read more

Truro | Farley House

Tel: 01872 241414, Fax: (01872) 242424

St Austell

Tel: 01726 879333, Fax: (01726) 67401
Tel: 01326 313441, Fax: (01326) 315971
Tel: 01637 871414, Fax: (01637) 879414

Truro | Lemon Street

Tel: 01872 241414, Fax: (01872) 271019
Tel: 01209 714278, Fax: (01209) 710437
Tel: 01326 574001, Fax: (01326) 564547
Tel: 01736 364014, Fax: (01736) 364054

Nalders Solicitors is a trading name of Nalders LLP and is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England and Wales (LLP No. OC354499). We use the term partner to refer to a member of Nalders LLP. A list of the members may be inspected at our registered office: Farley House, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. TR1 2HX. Nalders LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 538003. Resolution Accredited Specialist. We will not accept service by electronic mail. VAT Registration No. 131 8555 74